Chronology1194 The year of the construction of the Baths. The city of Girona still has the Roman structure. The Baths are found in the exterior part of the city. 1294 The reconstruction of the Baths takes place. The expansion of the city is in progress in the area of the surrounding neighborhoods. The area of the Arabic Baths is being converted into an inhabited zone. 1618 In this year, the Baths become part of a convent. The fortified precinct has already the form that will be maintained till our century. The Baths are now a part of the interior areas of the precinct. 1929-1932 During these years the building of the Baths becomes an independent part of the convent and a new stage of its rehabilitation and its history begins. The city is about to experience an urban expansion. Moreover, an interest in archeology emerges.
The oldest date of the Baths’ existence dates back to December 18th 1194.The relevant document affirms that the Baths were built by an order of the King Alfons I ¨el Cast¨. Moreover, it states that the Baths belong to the Monarch and it is about a new construction but without providing us with any additional information about that construction, reconstruction or transformation. The building has a Roman style but the monument does not deny the Arabic influences inherited by the thermal Greek and Roman transition. These influences undoubtedly affect the architectonic elements and the functional structure of the Baths. It is later than the conquest of Lleida and Tortosa that this system of Baths are discovered and imported to Girona.
At the end of the XIII century, the French raids of the army of the French King, Philippe Le Hardit, almost caused the total destruction of the Baths, which inevitably became the victim of that hostile situation. Therefore, it was absolutely necessary to reconstruct the building all over again almost from its very beginning. The King Jaume II, accepted the proposal of Raimon de Taialà, which was about the reconstruction of the building between March 24th 1294 and December 4th 1296. Moreover, it is documented that the Baths had been public until the year 1366. However, from that date until the year 1416, there is a gap of historical references about this issue. In that year, once again, we have references and information about the Baths which at that point they are not public any more. The documents and the various references available of the time talk about a house with its orchard and its baths that are part of this private residence. Between the XV and XVI centuries, the Baths seem to belong to one person.
In the XVII century, the monastery of the nuns was constructed and in this structure the Baths were incorporated as part of the convent. A great part of the whole complex, including the Baths themselves were to be affected by the settling of the convent in the area as the whole character of the zone was about to change. The nouns preserved the Baths for their own use. For example, the old swimming pool was used as the laundry room.
Between the years 1929-1930 a separation of the premises of the Baths took place since they had been almost forgotten in the interior part of the convent. On March 8th, 1929 an agreement was signed between the President of the Diputació and the Abbess of the monastery. According to this agreement the Baths would be separated from the monastery.
Ever since the day of the construction of the Baths, its surrounding areas have been gone through various and different changes. It is true that at the beginning the Baths were outside of the city but today they belong to an inhabited and populated urban zone.
In the 70s of the XX century, an Archeological path was made in the area, providing in this way a wider street and better vicinity as well as better utility for the community in general. Once the convent was relocated with the relevant work undergone, the so called Arabic Baths have been visited, studied and admired by large numbers of tourists, while at the same time they have been incorporated into the archaeological zone that Girona has to offer to its visitors.
From 1931 to 1939 the Arabic Baths were under the responsibility of the Generalitat of Catalonia; from 1939 to 1992 under the jurisdiction of the Diputació and today the Arabic Baths have been placed under the trust of the Regional Council of Gironès.